Thursday, February 25, 2010

Reality.

I thought about entitling this blog "Life's a Bitch" or "Life sucks sometimes" or "Some things just aren't fair." They all still seem fitting, but in an attempt to not be completely mellow-dramatic, I'll come up with something lighter. Yesterday I spent the day with a good friend of mine. It wasn't a 'going to the park' day or a walk in the forest, it was simply sitting there. Sitting and just being there. Nothing about yesterday seemed fair. Not the pain, not the hopelessness, not the sadness, the lack of sleep, the dozen invasive devices. I wouldn't be honest if I didn't say I don't question the reasonings of things sometimes. Maybe that's the beauty of our relationship with Jesus. He doesn't ask us to be perfect, but to be real. So as I drove home last night, I was real. I cried and asked him why. I think I must have asked it at least a few dozen times. Maybe I don't have to understand his reasoning or timing, maybe I just have to believe in the "bigger" perspective. The last two years seem to be a constant attempt to see the "bigger." Can we call life out for what it is sometimes? Shit. Sometimes life is just shitty and unfair. Death seems so final sometimes.

I opened up my computer this morning and I was greeted with the desktop photo of the sunset on the Oregon coast last weekend. The sun will still rise every morning. We will still get out of bed, put one foot in front of the other. Each morning we will get dressed and remind ourselves to keep breathing. And eventually, eventually we won't have to remind ourselves to breathe anymore. Mountain tops or valleys, He is faithful even when I can't always feel Him. "And the Pain of the World is a burden, And it's my cross to bear, I stumble under all the weight, I know you're Simon standing there, I KNOW you're standing there." (Caedmon's Call lyrics - Love Alone)
Maybe the beauty is in the reality. The Reality that this is temporary and Jesus is eternal. Pain, whether emotional, physical, spiritual, it's temporary. The Love of Jesus is real and everlasting. So today I am choosing to cling to the reality of the Eternal.

5 comments:

  1. You're the only person I know that writes this openly and honestly. Thank you for attempting to bottle up some of life so I can learn from it... Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that was pretty well said. I read this after just finding out that another one of our good friends went home to live with Jesus. Yes, life is often shit, but for Doug, it is now glorious. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you baby girl, and I love your heart!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well expressed, Jess....CHOOSING to cling to Him IS the only way to get thru those days, hours, moments we feel life has dealt the worst yet that we must walk thru....sometimes saying "I am praying" seems pretty empty but that is all we can do sometimes-and that is what I am doing....love you, Aunt Deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks like we're both blogging about hard times. good thing is...we have the same hope :) can't wait to come back to 6N. only 1 week left in alaska!

    ReplyDelete